£45m flood defences used for first time to safeguard 175 homes across Notts
A FLOOD defence scheme costing £45 million saved around 175 homes in Attenborough from being under inches of water, according to the Environment Agency.
The new wall – which includes a 2.5km section around the village – was finished in September and had its first test yesterday as the flood gates were closed.
Lee Rawlinson, area manager for the agency, said he was pleased the defences had prevented thousands of pounds of damage that flooding would have caused.
He said: "We only introduced the systems three months ago, so we would have liked to see a bit more respite between their installation and them being used, but they have done the job.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
"We know the misery that flooding can cause and I was delighted earlier when walking through Attenborough not to see skips filled with carpets that people have had to rip up after water came into their homes."
Broxtowe MP Anna Soubry said: "Villagers who were so badly flooded in 2000 should be feeling considerably safer thanks to the flood defences."
Meanwhile, there will be no racing at Southwell until January after widespread flooding has damaged the all-weather track.
Roderick Duncan, clerk of the course at Southwell said: "We had just short of 50mm of rain on Saturday and going into Sunday, and we've had a further 10mm or more since.
"This, added to the high water levels alongside the Trent which was almost at the top of its banks, has caused widespread flooding in the area."
He added that the drying out and repair process is already in progress at the course.
Meanwhile, more than a thousand sandbags have been sent to houses in the Newark area, with council staff at Notts County Council's Bilsthorpe depot spending yesterday preparing more than 2,000 more.
And the county council staff also spent yesterday offering support to vulnerable people living near at-risk areas.
Paul Mckay, service director and chairman of the council's Risk, Safety and Emergency Management Board, said: "Rest centres will be made available or people can go to friends and relatives if they prefer.
"We have 4x4s on standby to help move people or provide vital services if needed.
"In these difficult times it is great that many local communities pull together. As part of this we would encourage people in affected communities to check on older people and vulnerable neighbours to see if they are well and have access to food and drink."
Meanwhile, across the county roads have been closed in Lowdham, Gunthorpe and Kelham and the Queen's Drive Park and Ride is expected to remain closed until next Monday due to flooding.
A couple are still stranded on a canal boat near Gunthorpe after the water poured over a gangway which connects the pontoon where their boat is moored to the river bank in Trentside.
George Dodds, 48, said: "We're still stuck but we're fine – I think the dog is getting more tired of not being on dry land than we are. I still think it'll be a few days before we can get back on the river."
A man had been rescued from floodwater by firefighters in Newark after becoming marooned in floodwater.
Crews from Newark attended the incident in Kelham Road, near Newark at about 8.20am.