I'm ready for Nottingham Forest talks, says Dexter Blackstock
DEXTER Blackstock today warned Nottingham Forest must not risk losing more key players for nothing.
The striker is one of seven Reds players who are out of contract in the summer and, while he has pledged to give his all throughout the rest of that deal, he hopes the club will take action to resolve the situation sooner rather than later.
Blackstock – along with Lee Camp, Lewis McGugan, Radi Majewski, Andy Reid, Brendan Moloney and Marcus Tudgay – can start to talk to other clubs about a summer move from January.
The striker says he is keen to stay at the City Ground and hopes he will be offered a new deal in the near future.
Landlords let us advertise your property and find you vetted tenants quickly. Our let only service is £195.
We offer full management services as well as rent guarantee and rent advance. Call us
Terms: No hidden charges, you will be informed of all costs in advance. The letting agency you can trust.
Contact: 0115 8969582
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
If not, he fears more players could follow in the footsteps of Luke Chambers, Garath McCleary, Joel Lynch, Kelvin Wilson, Kris Commons and Robert Earnshaw by walking away for nothing.
"Whether the club come forward and offer me a contract, I don't know. It is up to them," said Blackstock. "What can you do? I am fine, it is not an issue. If they want to wait until the end of the season, as has been the habit over the last few years, that is up to them.
"But if you do that, you run a risk. It is in the club's hands, but we have lost some very good players over the last few years. We are talking about players who, if they were still here, they would be in the team now.
"Let's not beat around the bush, we have lost good players and we do not want that to continue.
"Chris Cohen has had his contract sorted. I am under contract until the end of the season and I will play to the best of my ability throughout that deal.
"If they want to sit down and talk about a new contract, of course I am happy to do that."
Blackstock insists the situation is not a distraction on the pitch and says he will continue to be dedicated to the cause under boss Sean O'Driscoll.
"It is not a distraction, I am here and I am under contract until the end of the season. I am paid to play for Nottingham Forest until the end of the season and I will do that," he said.
"I am not out of contract right at this minute, I am still under contract and my contract is to play for Forest. Whether Forest offer me a new deal or not, we will see.
"I have always said that I have loved every moment here at the club. Forest have been very good to me.
"The fans took to me when I was on loan and it is a club that is close to my heart. That will never change."
Blackstock says the 1-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday changed the outlook at Forest, who had previously failed to win in three.
"The picture can change quite quickly. What the win against Wednesday does is make the point against Leicester look more important," he said.
"You need to pick up points away from home and win your home games, that is the recipe to get in the top six. We had to grind out a result against Wednesday, but that is fine. Every game is going to be different."