Vet sees rise in cats killed by anti-freeze
A VET is warning people to clear up spillages of anti-freeze after seeing an increase in the number of cats poisoned by the chemical.
Stephanie Kern, clinical director of Ark Vets Chilwell and Long Eaton, said the practice recorded the rise last year.
She said she had seen cases of poisoning from ethylene glycol, which is found in anti-freeze.
"Anti-freeze is sweet and tasty to cats and only a small amount is lethal," she added.
Symptoms of poisoning occur within hours of ingestion. Cats appear unsteady on their feet, vomit and have fits.
Ms Kern said owners should take their pet to a vet as soon as possible if they suspect anti-freeze poisoning.