Trouble-free night in city as people charged over riots
A TOTAL of 25 people have now been charged in connection with riots in Nottingham this week.
Notts Police said the force enjoyed a “trouble free” night last night with no major disturbances and just four arrests for minor public order offences.
A further seven arrests had been made by 5am today, and 12 cannabis plants an a baton were seized as part of an operation to swoop on more people suspected of committing offences in Tuesday night’s disturbances.
Around 800 police officers, PCSOs, Special Constables and CPOs worked throughout the night to prevent any repetition of public disorder and criminality, which blighted the streets for the previous two nights.
The most talented cake decorator in Nottingham, with 25 years experience! Fully qualified with a *5 STAR* health and hygiene certificate for our professional catering kitchen! Late availability!
Terms: Must book a wedding consultation at our tearoom quoting your voucher code; Dolly's Vintage Tearoom Woodthorpe Nottingham to discuss your requirements! Contact Jess on 07772662593 limited availability
Contact: 0115 8967816
Valid until: Tuesday, December 31 2013
The copycat riots had followed outbreaks of violence and looting in London, which spread to other major cities.
From 6pm last night, officers were deployed to the city centre and throughout nearby residential areas.
Dog handlers and the force’s mounted section joined their colleagues in a show of highly visible force to reassure residents and to prevent criminality.
The number of incidents reported to the force was significantly lower than the previous 48 hours. There were no reports of significant gatherings of youths.
Reports of criminal damage were said to be “minor and few and far between.”
Police said the number of people on the streets was lower than would be normally expected on a Wednesday evening.
Four arrests were made for minor public order offences committed overnight – compared to 86 the previous evening.
Assistant Chief Constable Paul Scarrott, who commanded the policing operation overnight, said he was delighted that the city had been able to enjoy its first relatively peaceful night this week.
He said: “On Monday night, there were sporadic and serious incidents of criminality. That night, our tactic was to repel and separate large groups of youths intent on congregating in the city and suburbs.
“On Tuesday night, we warned that our tactics would be different. Again we drove the hooligans back, but this time we made many arrests. We prevented widespread looting and major fires, and despite attacks on police officers, vehicles and police stations, we stood firm and demonstrated that we would not tolerate such behaviour.
“Last night, we had our strongest presence yet on the streets lest anyone had failed to get the zero-tolerance message. We worked closely with all our partner agencies – including the city and county council, the Crime and Drugs Partnership, Fire and Rescue services, Ambulance crews and various watch schemes. And the hard work paid off.
“Whilst I’m delighted that the residents of the city could have a peaceful night’s sleep there will be no let up in our determination to take swift and decisive action against anyone who decides to break the law and participate in the sort of mindless, yobbish wanton criminality that blighted the city on Tuesday night.
“For that reason, we will continue to have at our disposal significant numbers of officers on duty, throughout the city and elsewhere, ready to respond 24-7 for the coming days and nights.”