Today could be D-day for Alex McLeish at Nottingham Forest
TODAY could be D-day when it comes to Alex McLeish's future at Nottingham Forest.
The manager spent yesterday with his family debating his position at the City Ground, after refusing to confirm that Saturday's 2-1 defeat at former club Birmingham City would not be his last in charge of the Reds.
It is believed McLeish did not want to make a decision about his future ahead of the game against the Blues, as he did not want to be seen to be ducking out of a return to his former club, where his popularity nose-dived after he was appointed boss of fierce rivals Aston Villa.
He may still decide to hold out until next week, when the loan window opens, to see if he is given the backing he craves in the form of new signings. But his refusal, after the game on Saturday, to confirm he still has a future at the club does indicate there is a decision to be made.
Cheap Van Insurance For 17,18 & 19 Year Old Drivers - Call Insure365 01782 898188, Free Legal Expenses Cover Included Valued at £25.00!
Terms: 1 Voucher Per Customer
Contact: 01782 898188
Valid until: Saturday, June 22 2013
"I had a great time at Birmingham," said McLeish. "I also have a good feeling about Forest. It is a similar feeling that I have for that club as I did when I went down to Birmingham.
"There was no way I was going to hide from these fans. I wanted to front up to them and allow them to let off some steam."
When asked if he was prepared to comment on whether it would be his last game as Forest manager, McLeish responded: "No. I am only going to talk about the game."
Asked if he was happy to stay, McLeish took a similar stance, saying: "I am not going to make any comment on that. I want to talk about the team and the game; about coming back to Birmingham.
"I fronted it up. I wanted to face the fans and take whatever they gave me. With respect, I am not making any comment on that (his future). I am only going to talk about football."
McLeish held lengthy talks with owner Fawaz Al Hasawi on Friday afternoon, he added: "Fawaz came to see me at the training ground.
"What was said there will remain private. We do communicate. There is no problem there, with that, at all."
McLeish was asked if he had been made promises about a transfer kitty when he was appointed on December 28 last year.
"That is not something I want to talk about," said the manager, who is due to take training today.
McLeish has secured only one win in seven games in charge since taking on the job – but that has come against a background of considerable unrest off the pitch.
The Scotsman was left frustrated after seeing the club fail to land any of three targets during the window, including Birmingham winger Chris Burke, who twisted the knife by netting twice at St Andrew's as McLeish endured a miserable return to his former club.
A move for George Boyd also collapsed in dramatic circumstances as the club pulled out of a move for Peterborough's attacking midfielder, against McLeish's wishes, after issues arose with an eye test. While a bid for Wolves defender Stephen Ward was rejected.
The club also took the decision to sack chief executive Mark Arthur, head of recruitment Keith Burt and former player, manager and chairman Frank Clark, who held an ambassadorial role, without informing McLeish.
While in the subsequent fall-out following those decisions, there have been disagreements behind the scenes between McLeish and the club's owners, the Al Hasawi family, over the club's transfer policy.