Pet chinchillas revived after Arnold chip pan fire rescue drama
TWO chinchillas had to be rescued from a burning house in Arnold.
The animals had to be given oxygen by paramedics following the fire at a house in Charnwood Lane at around 1.20am yesterday.
A woman who lived in the house had managed to escape by the time fire crews arrived.
She also received treatment from paramedics for the effects of smoke inhalation.
****Best Deals**** Van Insurance for 17-24 Yr Old Drivers - Contact Insure365 on 01782 898188 for a quotation, Free Legal Protection Included Valued at £25.00!
Terms: 1 Voucher Per Customer
Contact: 01782 898188
Valid until: Tuesday, June 25 2013
Cheryl Hely , a resident of nearby Holkham Close, which backs onto Charnwood Lane, said the scenes were very dramatic.
The 51-year-old said: "I woke up from a dream in the early hours because I thought I could smell smoke.
"Your first thought is 'where is the fire?'
"I couldn't hear our smoke alarms going off though, so I looked out the window and could see the fire coming out of the back of the house opposite.
"It was quite shocking and dramatic. I'm just relieved that no one was hurt and that no one died."
Her neighbour Simon Robs, 36, also witnessed the blaze.
The Gala Casino employee who has lived in Holkham Close for two years said: "I woke to the sound of the fire engines. I saw two of the firemen bringing a cage out of the house which I assume contained the chinchillas.
"It was all very dramatic and unusual for around here because it is usually very quiet."
The neighbour next-door to the house which caught fire, who did not want to be named, said he called the fire brigade when he realised the house was alight.
The 46-year-old said: "At about 1.15am we heard someone shouting that there was a fire and to call the fire brigade, so we did.
"The engines were here in about six minutes and the fire fighters were brilliant.
"There was some confusion about whether the lady was in the property of not but thankfully she was already out."
The fire, which was caused by a chip pan, burned through the ceiling and smashed the windows in the kitchen before spreading to the front room of the house.
A spokesperson for Notts Fire and Rescue service said: "The fire was started by a chip pan which had been left on, unattended, and it caught fire.
"There were no smoke detectors in the property.
"The ground floor of the house was severely damaged by the fire.
"Firefighters rescued two chinchillas in a cage from the living room. They were unconscious but showing signs of life and the ambulance crew used oxygen to revive them."
She added: "Cooking is one of the main causes of house fire and chip pans are particularly responsible.
"We would urge people to avoid using them if they can as deep fat fryers are much safer but if they do use them, then they should make sure they do not leave them unattended at any time.
"As this incident shows, hot oil can catch fire very easily and the damage can be quite considerable.
"And please fit smoke alarms – and test them regularly to make sure they are working."
The chinchillas are thought to have been taken to the PDSA who will look after them until they can be returned home.