Notts hit by some of the heaviest snow in the country- the latest on the roads and school closures
Some of the heaviest snow in the country fell in Notts this morning, according to the Met office.
Several schools across the county have closed, with some staying closed tomorrow due to heavy snowfall.
There has not been severe disruption to transport across the city and county, but people are advised to check before travelling that roads are clear and transport is running.
Conditions tomorrow look set to be hazardous, as snow turns to ice overnight.
Choose from 100's of Carpets, Vinyl & Laminate Floors. Get 50% Off any range. Just mention This is Nottingham when you call for your free measure and sample service.
Terms: Voucher can not be used with any other offer or promotion. Ends this Thursday. Do not miss out. This offer will not be repeated.
Contact: 0115 8969583
Valid until: Thursday, May 23 2013
Temperatures are expected to drop to -2 in the city tonight and -7 in more rural areas. An amber severe weather warning for snow is in place until midnight tonight, when it is then set to be downgraded to yellow.
The Highways Agency has warned drivers to take care on roads this evening and early tomorrow morning.
Met Office forecasters based at the Highways Agency’s National Traffic Operations Centre say a second band of rain, sleet and snow is now affecting western parts of the country on higher routes, but snow is likely at lower levels as this moves east.
The Met Office is forecasting possible snowfall of 2 to 5 cm in parts of the East Midlands, with up to 15 cm possible on higher routes.
The snow is expected to clear by Tuesday morning, though temperatures will still be low and there may be isolated snow showers in the east of the country.
- Birklands Primary & Nursery School is closed to all pupils because of heating problems.
- Eastlands Junior School will be closed this afternoon due to the heavy snow fall and concerns about staff and pupils getting home. They would be very grateful if parents could collect their children as soon as possible.
- Bracken Hill School will be closing at 1.00 pm today due to access difficulties caused by the heavy snow. School transport and parents have been informed. The school will remain closed tomorrow.
- Yeoman Park School is closing early today due to snow. Closed to pupils & staff tomorrow, will reopen on Wednesday.
- Redgate School is closing early today due to snow. Closed to pupils & staff tomorrow, will reopen on Wednesday.
- Garibaldi College has closed from 1pm today due to health & safety reasons. Will open as usual on Tuesday.
- Dukeries College has closed due to bad weather. Expected to open as normal tomorrow.
- Ollerton Primary School
- Beech Hill School
Follow our live blog for the latest on severe weather here.
For the latest weather forecast, check our weather channel.
View our gallery of your snow pictures here.