Newlywed man loses leg as workmate runs him over
A NEWLYWED who was run down by another man as both travelled to work at Boots has launched a court bid for more than £300,000 compensation.
The accident in Lenton partly severed one of Klodian Sulcja's legs and left him with a head injury and broken arm.
Surgeons could not save the leg and it had to be amputated.
The 33-year-old was hit by a car being driven by Stephen Robert Smith, then of Carlton, as Mr Sulcja cycled across Thane Road to get to his job in the Boots warehouse.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
It happened on February 5 2011, less than a week after his wedding.
According to paperwork which has now been filed at the High Court, Mr Smith was allegedly speeding and had around five minutes left to get to work on time at 5.45am.
A "strict policy" on lateness would have meant he faced a financial penalty if he was late for work in his Boots job, according to Mr Sulcja's submission to the court.
Mr Smith was arrested after the crash and later that year admitted driving without due care and attention at Nottingham Magistrates' Court.
He was fined £300 and six penalty points were put on his licence.
Mr Sulcja, of Wray Close, St Ann's, who had a son with his wife in March last year, has now put in a claim for more than £300,000 of damages and financial loss at the High Court.
Following the accident he was taken to the Queen's Medical Centre and his lower right leg was amputated the same morning.
He was put on life support in the intensive care unit but improved and was discharged 19 days after the crash.
According to the claim form issued at the court: "Mr Sulcja had married his wife, Besiana, less than a week before the accident.
"Prior to the accident the claimant was very happy with Besiana. He enjoyed going to the cinema, playing football and cycling. He walked regularly and went to the gym most days.
"Besiana has cared for him since the accident.
"Although there have been improvements in his symptoms over time, he has needed significant care and assistance with normal daily activities."
She adds he has not been able to return to work since, and although he hopes to get a job in future is now disabled and at increased risk of developing epilepsy because of the crash.
The claim also says Mr Smith had overtaken a line of traffic and then pulled over back on to the left-hand side of the road, hitting Mr Sulcja as he cycled across.
It says he was driving at between 35 and 40mph in a 30mph limit, and says the date of the accident, February 5, was the date of Mr Smith's late wife's birthday.
She had died ten months before and as he drove to work he had been thinking about what he was going to do that afternoon with family at the cemetery. Mr Smith previously lived in Hillview Road, Carlton, but the Post was unable to contact him yesterday.