Murder inquiry launched after dad-of-six is killed
NEIGHBOURS of a father-of-six killed in a house in Ilkeston desperately tried to revive him as he lay unconscious in the front room.
Mick Moss, 48, died after being assaulted during a disturbance at the house in Canal Street at 9pm on Wednesday.
Police have launched a murder inquiry and are hunting two men who were seen leaving the building at the time of the attack.
Both are described as white, with one in his 30s and another in his 40s.
Landlords let us advertise your property and find you vetted tenants quickly. Our let only service is £195.
We offer full management services as well as rent guarantee and rent advance. Call us
Terms: No hidden charges, you will be informed of all costs in advance. The letting agency you can trust.
Contact: 0115 8969582
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
Mr Moss's next-door neighbour, Michael Skinner, said he was alerted to the incident after hearing noises coming from the house.
The 33-year-old said: "I heard a rumbling from next door and thought nothing of it.
"Then I heard another and looked out of my window and saw two men running off.
"The second man looked up at me as he left but I couldn't tell anything about him other than that he had on one of those beanie hats.
"I went downstairs, grabbed my mobile and called the police.
"I ran outside and saw Mr Moss lying on the floor unconscious in the front room.
"There was a few spots of blood around him.
"I didn't go in but other neighbours did and they were trying to revive him."
Paramedics arrived and tried to revive Mr Moss but he died from his injuries.
Yesterday, police conducted house-to-house inquiries along the street while forensic officers worked at the scene.
A large white tent was set up in front of the house.
A postmortem examination was held but the results have not yet been revealed.
A friend of the Moss family, who lives in Canal Street, said: "I knew them really well. I couldn't believe it when I heard it was him.
"He had been looking after an old man that lived in the house and who was disabled but he was taken to hospital last week.
"It's terrible thinking about it. My little lad turned to me and said, 'There's a murderer on the run now then'. It's awful."
David Tonge, 47, of Canal Street, said: "We saw the forensics teams going up over the doors and checking in all the alleyways. My son saw them bringing the body out."
Another neighbour, Daniella Bestwick, 21, of Mill Street, said: "It's shocking. You are trying to raise children in the area. It's disgusting really."
Anybody with information about the incident should contact Derbyshire police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.