Lindsey Inger tram death: Level-crossing footbridge on the way
WORK is set to start on a footbridge at the site of where a 13-year-old girl died after being hit by a tram.
Network Rail says the project will go ahead “at speed” after the death of 13-year-old Lindsey Inger.
She was hit by a tram at the crossing close to Bestwood Village on November 28.
The accident happened only four years after Jean Hoggart and her seven-year-old grandson Michael Dawson were killed by a train at virtually at the same spot.
A public meeting was held in Bestwood Miners’ Welfare Club last week to discuss the safety of the crossing and Network Rail representatives revealed a footbridge may be built.
The organisation now says it is to push ahead with the project, with work set to start over the next few months.
Martin Frobisher, route managing director for Network Rail, said: “This location has been the site of tragedy and, at the public meeting last week, I promised to see if a footbridge could be installed.
“This was in direct response to a request at that meeting and my team immediately started exploring the options available.
“Designs have been drawn up and give an early indication of the size of structure which would be necessary to accommodate all users on this site.
“We are in discussions with Nottingham Express Transit and will meet Ashfield District Council officials in mid-January to develop them further.
“I can assure the community we are pursuing this project at speed. However it is important that we balance that with the need to find the right solution for this site.”
Tramlink Nottingham Chief Executive Phil Hewitt said: “We are working closely with Network Rail on their ideas for the footbridge.
“We will certainly play our part in making sure that their proposals are developed and implemented as quickly as possible.”
A timetable for the work to build the footbridge has not yet been drawn up, but Network Rail said it would be made available “as soon as possible”.
Since the accident, two MPs have called for improvements to the double crossing.
Sherwood MP Mark Spencer said more should be done, after the installation of new warning signs in 2008.
He was joined by Nottingham East MP Chris Leslie who said it was “vital” that the tram network was as safe as possible and said safety improvements should be made to the crossing “urgently.”