Joy over thumbs-down for homes on Radford Bridge Allotments
RESIDENTS have welcomed a decision to deny an application to build 140 homes on an allotment site.
Nottingham city councillors voted unanimously against the application to build on the Radford Bridge Allotments at a development control committee meeting on Wednesday afternoon.
The controversial plans had received more than 320 objections from local residents.
Representatives of tenant gardeners attended the meeting and a spokesperson for them said: "We are extremely grateful to the council planning officers for carrying out such a thorough and fair appraisal of the application and delighted that the committee unanimously voted to accept the recommended refusal."
Cheap Van Insurance For 17,18 & 19 Year Old Drivers - Call Insure365 01782 898188, Free Legal Protection Cover Included valued at £25.00!
Terms: 1 Voucher Per Customer
Contact: 01782 898188
Valid until: Monday, June 24 2013
"Obviously the applicant has the right to appeal and therefore the longer term future of the allotments is still unclear at the moment."
One allotment holder, who did not wish to be named, said: "I would be devastated to lose my plot and all the work I've put into it.
"It's been a lot of hard work and we use the vegetables and fruit from it and we get the benefits of fresh air, healthy exercise and good company."
A planning application for the site in Russell Drive, was submitted to Nottingham City Council earlier this year.
Officers at the council recommended that the controversial plans were refused.
The chairman of the North Wollaton Residents' Association, Lynne Dilks said: "We are pleased with the result, especially for the gardeners and those on the waiting list. We're also pleased with the way it's been handled by the planning department and the committee."
The plans were put forward by law firm Freeth Cartwright on behalf of property development company Commercial Estates Group.
Rob Gill, development manager for Commercial Estates Group said: "We are disappointed with the outcome of the meeting as this proposed scheme is in a highly sustainable location benefiting from excellent public transport links.
"In addition to delivering much-needed high-quality family homes in the city, the development can deliver a number of environmental benefits. We will review our position in the new year."
The outline plans were for 19 two-bedroom homes, 70 three-bedroom homes, 35 four-bedroom homes and 12 five-bedroom homes – all of which would be two storey houses.
Steve Parton , councillor for Wollaton West, said: "I'm delighted. I have totally opposed the development but I think that we've won the first round only."