Fury as piece of wartime history is 'wiped out'
A HISTORIAN says he is "appalled" that evidence of Nottingham's worst Second World War bombing raid has been removed from a city building.
For decades the former Register Office in Shakespeare Street has worn the scars of shrapnel damage following the destruction of a wing of the university building across the road.
The raid that caused the devastation took place on May 8 and 9, 1941, and is known as the Nottingham Blitz.
The damaged Grade II listed building had been repaired with a special dark mortar which was designed to be clearly visible and stand as a testament to the attack.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
However, evidence of the attack has recently been removed. But it is unclear who carried out the repairs.
Nottingham City Council sold the building to Nottingham Trent University at the end of last year but they both deny carrying out the work.
Historian Graham Godfrey, from Toton, said: "I think someone has tried to make it nice and have wiped out a piece of history at the same time.
"Another part of Nottingham's heritage has been destroyed.
"The only evidence that anything ever happened now is a gap in the railings which is probably on the list to be replaced.
"The dark mortar used to repair the building was deliberately used as a testament to the bombing raid of 1941.
"Whoever carried out the work has no sense of history and I am shocked and appalled that they have done this."
During the 1941 raid a man was killed in the doorway of the register office as he tried to take shelter.
Nottingham Civic Society chairman Hilary Silvester said: "Reminders of our history should not be obliterated.
"It is a shame that this has happened.
"I presume that the workers did not know what they were covering up when they did it."
A city council spokesman said: "We are aware that this building has some historical merit.
"We had not carried out any work which would affect the building's mortar before selling it to Nottingham Trent University recently.
"We have had initial meetings with the university to discuss their plans to refurbish the building and are aware that they also have not undertaken any external mortar or railing repairs.
"As a listed building, any repairs and renovations will be carried out with the approval of a conservation officer."
The university said it had not carried out the work and did not want to add any further comment.