Carl Froch, the Pride of Nottingham, has double cause for celebration
CARL FROCH, the Pride of Nottingham, had double cause for celebration at the Capital FM Arena on Saturday night.
After stopping American challenger Yusaf Mack in the third round to retain his IBF super-middleweight world title, he then announced his partner, Rachael Cordingley, was four months pregnant with their second child.
In the ring, Froch insists he wants to end his career with a fight in the open air at the City Ground.
"I watch Forest regularly. The atmosphere is great. It won't be the same as the Arena but the City Ground is the one. Eddie (Hearn) you've got to get it on," he said, turning to his promoter.
Choose from 100's of Carpet, Vinyl & Laminate Floor and get any for Half Price. Simply print off this voucher and mention This is Nottingham when you arrange your free estimate.
Terms: One voucher per order. Can not be used with any other offer or discount. Voucher must be produced at time of sale. Don't miss out, this offer ends Thursday and will not be repeated.
Contact: 0115 8969583
Valid until: Thursday, May 23 2013
But Hearn thinks the Cobra has outgrown Nottingham now and is eyeing big-money fights at either the MEN Arena in Manchester or London's O2.
So what next for Froch? He faces a defence against mandatory challenger, Canadian Adonis Stevenson.
He is contracted to a return with Lucian Bute in Canada and also wants to avenge defeats by Mikkel Kessler and Andre Ward.
The Bute and Kessler fights may not happen but Hearn feels Ward might be persuaded to box in Britain – if the money is right.
"Ward has tweeted saying he fancies a trip to the UK and I think he would come," said Hearn.
"The reality is Bute or Stevenson, Kessler and Ward for 2013. They are the only fights that particularly interest us. I spoke to Bute's promoter last week but, after this, I can't see them wanting to take the fight."
Froch says he could be ready to fight again in February or March.
"I'm going to have a couple of weeks rest and then start again," he added.
"I'm at the stage of my career where I have not got time to waste.
"I'm in my prime and I'm ready for anybody. I have proved that with the people I have fought."
The 35-year-old insists Yusaf Mack didn't have much of a chance of causing an upset, he said: "When I am on fire like that here I am unbeatable.
"I don't get spectacularly knocked out like some other British fighters who think they are superstars.
"And it was nice to come out of the ring without any injuries or cuts."
Trainer Robert McCracken feels Froch is just peaking and could still have two, maybe five, years in the sport.
"He's a fantastic fighter," he said.
"Pound for pound he's the best in Britain. It's a brilliant story and it's a journey that's still going on."
Nottingham's fight night: Pages 42-43